I developed this recipe for a class I taught with James Beard in San Francisco. I wanted students to realize that parsley is not a tasteless garnish but a taste-rich ingredient.
Like this recipe? Find more like it in one of Barbara Kafka's many excellent cookbooks.
3 bunches Italian flat-leaf parsley
3 bunches curly parsley
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup cottage cheese
Fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt if you need it
prep: 5 minutes
total: 35 minutes
food processor (or immersion blender)
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the drained leaves and toss to coat well. Lower the hear and cook the parsley for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the coriander and garlic, and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cottage cheese.
5. Let the soup cool slightly and then purée it in a food processor until it is smooth and the parsley is chopped fine. Season to taste with lemon juice and pepper.
6. Return to the heat and heat through before serving.