Three-Bean Salad With Quinoa
Chip adapted this three-bean salad from a recipe Elizabeth found in Cooking Light magazine. The original used bulgur, but this recipe calls for quinoa. The dish is a hearty side or a main course for a summer evening. You can read more about this recipe at the Cookthink blog.
1 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cooked lima beans
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup sliced chives
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup crumbled feta
prep: 20 minutes
total: 25 minutes
1. Rinse the quinoa in a strainer until the water runs clear. Drain.
2. Fill a medium saucepan with the water and salt. Bring to a boil, then stir in the quinoa. Cover, reduce the heat and cook until the quinoa has absorbed almost all the water, 10-20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
3. Meanwhile, prep the beans, pepper, onion, chives and parsley and stir them all together in a large bowl.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard. Stir in the olive oil, then season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
5. Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir the quinoa and feta into the large bowl of beans. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to coat well. If there is time, chill the salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.