Beef, Cabbage And Rice Casserole
serves 2-4Doesn't this recipe sound good? It is. If you'd like some ideas about what to eat with it, click on the "goes with..." tab to the left. For the lowdown on ingredients, techniques and tools, click on "related tips."
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley + more to finish
2 tablespoons red wine
1 medium head savoy cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds), cored and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1/2 cup water
prep: 25 minutes
total: 1 hour 5 minutes
large sauté pan with cover
casserole (or baking dish)
2. Add the ground beef to the pan. Break it up and stir to combine with the onions and spices. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
3. Move some of the beef mixture aside to make room for the tomato paste. Add the tomato paste directly to the bottom of the pan and stir to brown it. When it darkens, stir it into the beef mixture. Add the fresh parsley and wine and cook, stirring often, 6-8 minutes more. Remove the beef mixture to a plate.
4. Preheat the oven to 375F.
5. In the same sauté pan you used for the beef, add the cabbage, rice, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the water and cover. Cook until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes, then remove the lid to let some of the liquid evaporate for another minute or so.
6. Add the beef back in with the cabbage and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the casserole and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the rice is tender, 20-40 minutes. Finish with more parsley.