Barley Risotto With Broccoli Raab
makes 7 cups; serves 2-4 as a main dish or 6-8 as a side
Earthy pearl barley gets soft and creamy when cooked this way -- and pairs beautifully with broccoli raab.
Like this recipe? Find more like it in one of Barbara Kafka's many excellent cookbooks.
6 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
8 large cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
2 cups pearl barley
1 pound broccoli raab, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
prep: 50 minutes
total: 50 minutes
1. Heat the stock in a 2-quart saucepan; keep warm.
2. Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the barley. Stir for 1-2 minutes to coat with the oil.
4. Add 1/2 cup of warm stock. Cook, stirring well, unti the barley has absorbed most of the stock.
5. Add another 1/2 cup stock and repeat the process, making sure the liquid is mostly absorbed before each new addion, until the barley has cooked for 20 minutes.
6. Add the broccoli raab. Continue cooking, adding stock 1/2 cup at a time and stirring, for 20 more minutes. The barley should be creamy with a slight chew. Add the salt and a sprinkling of pepper.