Pan Roasted Duck

by brys on November 1, 2011 · 12 comments

Pan roasting is one of my favorite ways to cook meat indoors. louboutin chine new balance 410 Air Jordan 9 Any cut of meat that will fit in a pan (chicken breast, steak, adidas gazelle pork chop, Nike Heren etc.) can be seared over high heat, nike air max 2016 blauw then finished in a moderately hot oven. adidas chaussures oakley fives squared clear frame adidas superstar Searing gives the meat browned flavor and crispness, Nike Air Huarache Heren and finishing in the oven helps the meat cook evenly throughout. nike air homme solde nike air max 2017 heren grijs Over the weekend I picked up a duck breast to pan roast. asics gel nimbus 18 soldes Comprar Nike Air Max Baratas Duck sometimes seems daunting to cook at home. ray ban cats 5000 Hollister Soldes But a duck breast is about as easy to cook as a strip steak, especially when pan roasted. ugg kids Searing the breast fat-side down helps render and crisp the thick layer covering the meat. adidas uk nike air max 2017 goedkoop Go to cookthink.com to see full instructions for how to cook duck breast.

mgaier September 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Honestly, I’ve always been afraid to try duck at home, but I’ve wanted to try it because, with a few memorable exceptions, it’s never quite the way I want it at restaurants. This is very helpful. Cheers!

Mirko Junge September 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

Nice pictures!
The main reason for those criss cross cuts is that the breast will not curl up and thereby inhibiting the heat tranfer needed for the ‘fat removal’, though.

yahaira September 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been tempted to make duck but I never know what to make it with. What would pair well with it for a side dish?

chip September 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Glad to see some fellow duck fans out there. Yahaira: I recently had this butternut squash risotto and this lentil salad together with duck breast, and I was very happy. You might also think about these creamy white beans with garlic and thyme or this escarole, white bean and pine nut salad. Let us know how it turns out.

b September 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for this! I’m going to serve it with a farfalle with butternut squash, brown butter, chard, and shallots.

Gina September 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

About how long does it take to bake the duck breasts until they reach 125 in the thickest part?

Twyla September 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

What do you do with a duck’s breast when the hunter knew nothing about preparing one and removed all the fat before giving it to you to cook?

yahaira September 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

all those choices sound yummy! unfortunately my efforts were thwarted when I couldn’t find duck breast and the sight of a duckling intimidated me.