Pan Roasted Duck

by brys on September 1, 2011 · 12 comments

Pan roasting is one of my favorite ways to cook meat indoors. Any cut of meat that will fit in a pan (chicken breast, steak, pork chop, etc.) can be seared over high heat, then finished in a moderately hot oven. Searing gives the meat browned flavor and crispness, and finishing in the oven helps the meat cook evenly throughout.

Over the weekend I picked up a duck breast to pan roast. Duck sometimes seems daunting to cook at home. But a duck breast is about as easy to cook as a strip steak, especially when pan roasted. Searing the breast fat-side down helps render and crisp the thick layer covering the meat.

Go to cookthink.com to see full instructions for how to cook duck breast.

mgaier September 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Honestly, I’ve always been afraid to try duck at home, but I’ve wanted to try it because, with a few memorable exceptions, it’s never quite the way I want it at restaurants. This is very helpful. Cheers!

Mirko Junge September 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

Nice pictures!
The main reason for those criss cross cuts is that the breast will not curl up and thereby inhibiting the heat tranfer needed for the ‘fat removal’, though.

yahaira September 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I’ve been tempted to make duck but I never know what to make it with. What would pair well with it for a side dish?

chip September 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Glad to see some fellow duck fans out there. Yahaira: I recently had this butternut squash risotto and this lentil salad together with duck breast, and I was very happy. You might also think about these creamy white beans with garlic and thyme or this escarole, white bean and pine nut salad. Let us know how it turns out.

b September 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for this! I’m going to serve it with a farfalle with butternut squash, brown butter, chard, and shallots.

Gina September 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

About how long does it take to bake the duck breasts until they reach 125 in the thickest part?

Twyla September 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

What do you do with a duck’s breast when the hunter knew nothing about preparing one and removed all the fat before giving it to you to cook?

yahaira September 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

all those choices sound yummy! unfortunately my efforts were thwarted when I couldn’t find duck breast and the sight of a duckling intimidated me.