Tomatillo Salsa For What Ails You

by admin on October 7, 2008 · 9 comments

Making tomatillo salsa by Cookthink

Inspired by several excellent suggestions left in the comments of my tomatillo post last week, I managed to use up all but a few tomatillos from the sack we inherited.

I made a soup, a sandwich, a marinade and then finally broke down and made the obligatory batch of salsa verde, which is really what I should have done with all the tomatillos. The mouthcoating tang of a green salsa is such a better foil to the rich, cheesy, meaty flavors of the Tex-Mex stuff I usually make to eat with it.

I started by pureeing a pound or so of tomatillos, a clove of garlic and half a yellow onion.

Pureeing tomatillos by Cookthink

Then, I sliced a red jalapeƱo and pulsed that a few times into the mix.

Sliced red chile pepper by Cookthink

Finally, I added a bunch of cilantro leaves and stems,

Adding cilantro stems to salsa verde by Cookthink

and then the juice of 1 lime plus a 1 teaspoon or so of thick, crystallized honey.

Adding lime juice to salsa verde by Cookthink

And that was pretty much it.

Last night, I seasoned the salsa with a little salt and pepper, then filled a couple of burritos with chorizo and black beans, set them in the salsa in a small casserole dish, and topped them with more of the salsa and plenty of grated Monterey Jack.

I cracked open a cold beer, queued Sunday’s (heartbreaking) episode of “Mad Men” (which we’d DVRed), and tried to forget about the impending financial doom.

Recipe: Tomatillo-Serrano Salsa (Cookthink)
Reference: What is a tomatillo?

Olga October 7, 2008 at 9:44 pm

That looks great: quite the variety!

Andrea October 7, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Okay, I’m going to do it, I’m going to buy some tomatillos and make some salsa. I live in East Harlem (sometimes known as Spanish Harlem but that’s not very PC) and there are tomatillos being sold all over the place here. I can’t believe I haven’t picked any up yet. I love the series, I’ll go there first for some ideas once I bite the bullet.

Frank October 9, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Where does one find crystallized honey?

Daniel October 10, 2008 at 12:31 am

@Frank

Crystallized honey is low moisture honey. It’s probably an affectation in the recipe as low moisture honey would probably be considered to be old. It’s usually much thicker than fresher honey. The flavor shouldn’t change significantly although it will be slightly sweeter.

Unless there is some specific reason that the author has in mind I wouldn’t worry about it too much and just use what you have available. I’ve personally not been able to tell the difference except in getting it off of the spoon.

chip October 10, 2008 at 5:49 am

Frank: Daniel’s right about the honey — it’s just old. If you’ve got old honey that’s crystallized (not so much an “affectation,” Daniel, as a “description” of what I did), you can put the container in warm water to (re)liquefy the honey, but when I’m cooking, I find it easier just to scoop it out with the spoon and not worry about the mess.

meghan October 10, 2008 at 12:04 pm

i love mad men! it is one of the best shows i’ve ever seen.

and your salsa looks delicious

ryan October 10, 2008 at 5:38 pm

do you just use the raw tomatillos? how about roasting them in the oven before pureeing them?

Brooke October 29, 2008 at 12:25 am

I roast mine.. I’m making some now actually!!. I roast all the ingredients, tomatillos, onion, jalapenos or serranos, and garlic, drizzled with oil and then seasoned with salt and pepper at 400 until soft, about 20-30 min. Then toss it in the food processor and there it is. Seems to be better the next day. I have never tried them fresh… have to try that next time! :)

gh May 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I am pretty sure tomatillos cannot be eaten raw, they must be cooked, either boiled or roasted.