I Stuck A Fork In It And It’s Done

by admin on November 2, 2007 · 11 comments

Yesterday, I was going about my business, pureeing some butternut squash for a soup I was testing. I had an hour before leaving for the airport, and I had two hours’ worth of stuff to do.

I shouldn’t have even started the soup, but I not only wanted to test the recipe out before leaving, but I was looking forward to having a quick bowl to tide me over for the flight to North Carolina. Plus, I have a friends crashing at my place this weekend while I’m away, and I thought it’d be cool to leave them something easy to heat up for lunch or dinner.

Anyway, I was trying to talk on the phone, to think about packing and to puree the squash all at the same time, when, while scraping the edges of the running blender with a fork, I caused a minor explosion. It was a minor, loud explosion, and it sent blender shrapnel flying across the kitchen (luckily in the other direction).

Needless to say, there was no butternut squash soup to test and leave for friends. There was only butternut squash mess to clean up. And things to forget to pack. And flights to run to catch. And blenders to replace.

Try one of these delicious-looking recipes instead:

Roasted Butternut Squash With Moroccan Spices (Kalyn’s Kitchen)
Butternut Mac ‘N’ Cheese (A Veggie Venture)
Butternut Squash Soup With Smoked Paprika (Gluten-Free Girl)
Butternut Squash, Potato And Arugula Tart (La Tartine Gourmande)

Bea November 2, 2007 at 9:47 am

oh no! Ahaha, what a mess! I hear you though, trying to do so many things at the last minute!

Alanna November 2, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Aiii and the blender too! I have to say, I stop myself OFTEN from sticking anything into the blender, the mixer, etc. I must be saved, from my hurry-up self. Glad you’re okay!

bri November 2, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Glad you were okay and able to catch your flight. Sucks that not only did it bend your fork, (which wouldn’t have been too bad) your blender exploded too. Hopefully you’ll be able to replace just the glass vessel, and not the whole thing.

lauren November 2, 2007 at 4:37 pm

i live in your same particular hell, i think, except when i picked up the blender, the bottom fell out, spewing curried pumpkin soup over my entire kitchen.

Kalyn November 2, 2007 at 10:27 pm

What a mess, so sorry to hear it. And what a waste of good butternut squash too (not to mention the fork and blender.)

Morgan Antoinette November 3, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Hello!? Why has no body posted the obvious…? Thank God you weren’t hurt! Flying blender glass could have left some gnarly battle damage! Poor you. No soup+mess to clean- a blender= Uber Stress. xox

Shannon November 5, 2007 at 10:24 am

Must be a trend developing. I killed my blender recently too. It started smoking and little pieces of metal were shredded and flying out. Not fun.

I’m still trying to decide whether to replace or just stick with the stick blender.

Tusk November 5, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Mom always said, “It’s when you cook and try to do something else that you’ll get hurt.”

This is a recipe I tried over the weekend.

It’s Butternut and Pear. Interesting combo. I’d make it again.

Brys November 8, 2007 at 11:06 am

Bri: I can definitely order the glass vessel only. I may or may not know this from experience. I guess a few accidents are inevitable with enough time in the kitchen.