Scalini’s Eggplant Parmesan

by admin on September 17, 2007 · 15 comments

Bumpy car rides. Castor oil. Acupressure. Walking. As Elizabeth nears her due date of September 18, nearly everybody has a trick for coaxing the onset of labor. Last week, Elizabeth’s brother, Jim, sent us the best tip yet. An Italian restaurant in Georgia claims that more than 300 pregnant women have given birth within 48 hours of eating its $11 Eggplant Parmigiana.

John Bogino, the owner of Scalini’s, in Smyrna, Georgia, explained the legend of the Eggplant Parmigiana to “Good Morning America”:

“Two or three years after we began, a few people had just mentioned to us they came in when they were pregnant, and ate this eggplant and had a baby a short time after that… One person told another, and it just grew by itself by leaps and bounds.”

Ridiculous, right? Maybe, but if you’ve ever been pregnant or you’ve lived with a pregnant woman, then you don’t need me to tell you that nothing’s ridiculous at this point. Plus, it’s eggplant parmesan, not castor oil, so why not?

Here’s one reason: Scalini’s recipe takes a really long time. But if you’ve got the time, it’s also really good, old-school Italian food. I’m not crazy about eggplant, but this was good enough to eat for dinner last night and then finish off for lunch today.

Will it work? We’ll let you know on Monday night. In the meantime, Snopes is on the case with a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the eggplant legend is absolute hogwash. On the other hand, here’s Scalini’s baby wall. If you’re looking for a faster, less labor-intensive method, here’s our recipe for a quick-broiled eggplant parmesan that takes less than 30 minutes.

UPDATE: I just ran into my neighbor Wendy, who in the course of talking about births and such, told me about another food–>labor anecdote. A week past her due date, Wendy told me, she and her husband Mark went to Amherst Chinese because she’d heard that certain spices were thought to stimulate labor. Just after she ordered Mu Shu Chicken, she went into labor, so they asked to have the food to go. In the car on the way home, Wendy opened her fortune cookie and it read: Don’t wait.

Deborah Dowd September 16, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Truth is, no matter what you do or eat, the baby will come when it’s good and ready. The surest way to induce labor is to let you hair get dirty and your legs get hairy… it’ll work every time! Good luck!

Elizabeth September 17, 2007 at 11:47 am

To be fair, this baby isn’t even late yet. My due date is tomorrow, and I’m just being impatient. Deborah, you have the right plan, I think. Maybe we’ll buy some expensive concert tickets for Friday night to push our luck? I would be happy to spend the next week eating eggplant parmesan and mu shu chicken and going shopping with my mom. While I don’t think I’ll try caster oil, I’m up for testing anyone else’s tasty recipes for labor. I’ve certainly got time to cook.

CJ McD September 17, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Elizabeth,
Wishing you smooth sailing and an easy “ride”.

nene September 18, 2007 at 10:35 am

According to JH the baby is coming with the full moon,September 26. There are traditionally many babies born when the moon is full. Well see!

nene September 18, 2007 at 7:23 pm

Nene’s son in law here, and when I lived in Atlanta, I heard about that spicy eggplant. I hear Nene…gotta run.

cookiecrumb September 19, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Could we please have an update??
Best to all *three* of you.

chip September 19, 2007 at 4:01 pm

No baby yet, so I guess that invalidates any “guarantees” on behalf of spicy eggplant. Elizabeth is scared that I’ll reek of garlic during the delivery, so last night we made a really garlicky pasta going on the assumption that if I smelled really garlicky today then the baby would decide to come. That didn’t work either. More soon.

nene September 19, 2007 at 5:48 pm

Son in Law Here Again – I was 2 weeks late, and the whiff of a skunk prompted me to “head out”. Why don’t you provoke a skunk?

Krysta May 12, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I heard from a family member of eggplant inducing labour, i wasnt aware at the time that it was a special recipe or anything to that effect….i was a week overdue with my son, and extremely uncomfortable, i simply fried up and egg plant with salt and pepper, 5 hours later he was born!!! coincidence or not, its worth a try~

Meg May 23, 2008 at 11:12 am

We were expecting in 2002 and were very anxious to meet our son. We heard the rumors about Scalini’s and thought it couldn’t hurt. I’m not an eggplant fan so I asked them to overcook it a bit and it wasn’t terrible. To our surprise– it worked! Our baby was born the next day and is on “the wall”. When we were pregnant again we took some friends of ours for the fun of it because she was due before me. I did not eat the eggplant because it was just a little too early for me but she did and her water broke at 2am. So for us it has been a success. We are expecting again and when I told my husband I did so by saying “Can you make dinner reservations at Scalini’s for us in August”…he knew exactly what I was saying. :) We will give it another try!

baby123 May 26, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I tried the egg plant and it worked for me. It was a week before my due date but my doctor was going to induce me in a few days and I wanted to avoid that. A friend suggested my husband take me out to eat for some egg plant parm and to enjoy one last date.