A simple revelation about eggs

by admin on September 17, 2007 · 9 comments

Over the weekend I picked up Kylie Kwong’s beautiful cookbook, Simple Chinese Cooking. Kwong keeps the list of ingredients short, but focuses on lots of taste, strong flavors and contrasting texture and temperature. The pictures are simple and provocative — they bring the recipes to life but don’t seem overstyled.

Kwong’s chapter on eggs includes six recipes using soft- or hard-boiled eggs. As I was flipping through the book yesterday, I was intrigued by something Wong wrote: “Because eggs are naturally rich, they need an intensely flavored sauce to stand up to them.”

This morning I was craving eggs, so decided to adapt Wong’s soft boiled eggs with spring onions and ginger. (I added red bell pepper to up the vegetable-protein ratio.) After the first bite, I understood what she meant by a sauce standing up to the eggs. It was the most balanced, succulent egg dish I’ve ever eaten.

Recipe: Boiled Eggs With Green Onions, Bell Pepper and Ginger

CJ McD September 17, 2007 at 2:16 pm

I love eggs; could eat them everyday. This recipe has my mouth watering. mmmmm……

brys September 17, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Glad it resonates with you, too, CJ. The sauce was delicious. (I may or may not have tipped the plate into my mouth at the end to finish it off.)
-Brys

Lydia September 17, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Fascinating — makes me realize that I never do anything interesting with boiled eggs, other than eat them straight from the shell, or make an egg salad or deviled eggs. This recipe is much more interesting.

Cynthia September 17, 2007 at 9:00 pm

I have this book too and it is a gorgeous book with so many recipes that one can make at home, well providing the ingredients are available where you live.

CJ McD September 18, 2007 at 8:22 am

What a wonderful dish. I made it (for myself) as friends dropped by and served it as an appetizer. They were wowed by both the presentation (the colors are beautiful) and the flavors.

Brys, this one’s a knock out!

I may have to add one more cookbook to my burgeoning collection…..
Can one ever have too many cookbooks?

Lucy September 18, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Don’t you mean Kwong rather than Wong?

Rachel @ Eggland's Best September 25, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Brys -We at Eggland’s Best always love to hear about people enjoying the great taste of eggs. What a tasty, healthy recipie too! Your readers may be interested to know that Eggland’s Best eggs have won the “America’s Best Tasting Egg” award, from the American Culinary Institute, 5 years in a row. All that taste with 25% less saturated fat and three times the Omega 3’s of ordinary eggs. If your readers would like more egg ideas we have a host of recipies at egglandsbest.com